Time: April 24, 2010 from 3pm to 5pm
Location: St. John's University, Fourth Floor, D'Angelo CenterSt. John's University, Fourth Floor, D'Angelo Center
Street: 8000 Utopia Parkway
City/Town: Queens, N.Y. 11439
Website or Map: http://www.zafen.org
Phone: (347) 838-4156 (347) 838-4156
Event Type: haitian, microloan, project, launch
Organized By: katleen felix
Latest Activity: Apr 21, 2010
We are excited to inform you of a special conference for Haiti that will be held at St. John’s University on April 24th from 3 - 5 p.m. The “ZAFEN: It’s our Business” conference will introduce participants to the “Zafèn” project, a unique micro-loan program intended to offer the opportunity to lend or contribute to sustainable economic development projects in Haiti.
Since April 1, Zafèn has attracted thousands of dollars in loans and donations and has fully funded several projects, including:
- 690 scholarships for students in the Central Plateau (!)
- 2 non-wood charcoal presses and a horse, which created 6 new green jobs
- 1 freezer that saved a business $20 in daily ice purchases
- 1 propane oven, which supports 4 new staff positions
- 176 fruit trees planted, 180 coffee plants planted, 12 bug traps purchased
Zafèn was established to make a positive impact on Haiti’s economic, social and physical environment by providing SMEs with enhanced access to capital by:
- Showcasing business projects that have been pre-screened for community impact;
- Providing online access through a secure, easy and reliable mechanism for reviewing and selecting profiles for loans or donations;
- Offering Haitian entrepreneurs micro-mentoring opportunities that will nurture their sustainability and, ultimately, self-sufficiency.
The conference will serve as an orientation to the www.zafen.org website, as well as provide the opportunity to navigate the website and make your very own contribution! You will have the chance to explore projects and contributions that are linked in real time to projects that need funding and see your funding go directly to the project you identify.
Don't miss the chance to make a difference! Together we can bolster the Haitian economy, create new jobs, and improve the lives of those living in some of the poorest conditions in the world.
Haitian light refreshments will be served.
RSVP - FONKOZE, firstname.lastname@example.org. or to Katleen Felix at (347) 838-4156 (347) 838-4156.
Visit Zafèn’s website (www.zafen.org). Fan the Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/zafen). Enable Haitians to transform their communities!
[Partners include DePaul University, Fonkoze, the worldwide Vincentian Family, and the Haitian Hometown Associations Resource Group.]