Design Expo 2014: Online Discussion - Building Livelihoods

This online panel discussion at 3.30 UK time on Thursday 12 June will explore the following questions:

1. What are some of the most innovative models that are having a real impact on the livelihoods of people at the BoP?
  2. What are the some of the key challenges facing innovators when designing products, services and business models for the rural and urban poor?
  3. How important is gender in the success or otherwise of some of the marketing and distribution models?

Panelists include: Stephanie Hanson, One Acre Fund; Sampath Selvan, MKrishi; Keith Teichmann, Xylem; KC Mishra, eKutir; Alexa Roscoe, CARE International; Deborah Tien, AISE; Morgane Danielou, Farming First; Vincent Gainey, DFID.

Editor's Note:

This is a text-only, written discussion.  To post comments you will need to sign in / sign up to Business Fights Poverty. A list of recent comments is shown in the right-hand side bar and will refresh every 5 minutes. To refresh more often, please click on the refresh icon in your browser.

This event is part of the Business Fights Poverty Design Expo 2014. Running from 9 to 13 June,  the Design Expo is an online celebration of products, services and business models transforming the lives of poor people.  The Design Expo is a collaboration with iDE UK and is being supported by the UK's Department for International Development.

The Expo will include a vibrant mix of blogs, Google Hangouts, online panel discussions, a Twitter Jam and a virtual exhibition zone. Each day we will focus on a different sector: Energy (9 June), Health (10 June), Communications (11 June), Livelihoods (including enterprise, finance and agriculture) (12 June) and Water & Sanitation (13 June).

From Monday 9 June, you will be able to access all the activities via the Design Expo landing page, www.designexpo.businessfightspoverty.org.  Participation in the Design Expo is free.  You will simply need to sign in (or sign up for free) to Business Fights Poverty.

Views: 1826

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am in conversation with UNW regarding how those principles can be more effective for empowering women in business

In India 36% of the women are involved in the agricultural workforce, 73% in livestock. Out of this, 78% of the women are involved in manual work and 1% of them carry a mobile phone throughout the day. So, the dissemination of best practices and the mode of dissemination will vary. The approach that could address a few challenges would ideally include "gender responsiveness". Knowing the woman, using a design thinking approach to create a product/service, and creating an accountability to it would have an impact on them.

That is just one piece of the big puzzle Morgane.

Thank you Zahid and other panelists!. 

Thank you Zahid for moderating this discussion, and thank you to all the other panelists and contributors! A very interesting conversation and a great learning opportunity. 

Thank you to the other panelists and all the participants. I really enjoyed this conversation.

Be sure to follow us @FarmingFirst

Good afternoon, my name is Fanny Boulloud and I work for a Swiss Fundation, Antenna Technologies as the safe water program coordination for Asia and the knowledge capitalisation (i.e.business models documentation).

Antenna Technologies has developped a thorough approach around a technologie (WATA), which is a low cost mini-chlorinator, or how to produce chlorine remotly with simply water and salt. But my role in Antenna is to support programmes in Asia around social marketing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Profile IconFabienne Ntwa Antieme and Nikhil Chulani joined Business Fights Poverty
12 hours ago
Profile IconJoseph Wade, Nick Farmer, Nicole Pitter Patterson and 2 more joined Business Fights Poverty
Oct 5
PAUL MBUTHIA is now a member of Business Fights Poverty
Sep 26
Pam Bolton is now a member of Business Fights Poverty
Sep 25

© 2017   Inspiris. Business Fights Poverty was created and is managed by Inspiris, a Certified B Corp.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Google+