What are some practical examples and lessons from business contributions to peace?

This written discussion is part a new month-long Challenge with Indiana University around the question: “What role can business play in pursuit of peace?”  The Challenge consists an online programme of written articles and online discussions, available on the Challenge homepage.

Despite the fact that broad macroeconomic connections between business and peace have long been acknowledged more needs to be done.  This Challenge aims to deepen understanding around the role that business can play in peacekeeping, peace making, and peace building.

This discussion focuses on practical examples and lessons from business contributions to peace.  A one-hour live panel will take place Wednesday 19 October from 10am ET / 3pm UK.

The discussion will focus on three questions:

1. Can you share practical examples of companies that have explicitly or implicitly impacted on peace?  What lessons might we draw from their work?
  2. Thinking about some of the current trends, what are some of the other ways in which businesses can most effectively contribute to peace?
  3. How can different stakeholders, from business, government and civil society best work together in pursuit of peace?

Editor's Note:

Welcome to this online written discussion. To post comments you will need to sign in / sign up to Business Fights Poverty. A list of recent comments is shown in the right-hand side bar and will refresh every 5 minutes. To refresh more often, please click on the refresh icon in your browser or on the link below.

Views: 2728

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the live segment of this online written discussion!

Let me start by asking our panellists to introduce yourselves.

Tim Fort from Indiana University

Hello everyone I'm John Katsos from the American University of Sharjah. Please don't judge my typos!

Zahid Torres-Rahman said:

Welcome to the live segment of this online written discussion!

Let me start by asking our panellists to introduce yourselves.

Hi everyone, I'm Teodora I work with Pearson in our Social Innovation team

Let's start with the first question:

Q1: Can you share practical examples of companies that have explicitly or implicitly impacted on peace?  What lessons might we draw from their work?

hi - this is Louise from MasterCard

Hello All - This is Patricia Kanashiro, from Loyola University Maryland. Thank you for inviting me for this live discussion on business and peace!

From my experience at UN working in Colombia at the extractive industries  in social conflicts with local communities I wrote this paper on the role of the oil and gas sector in the peacebuilding process in Colombia. I try to  put the emphasis on the importance of participatory governance mechanisms (government-companies-local communities) in this sector through multi-stakeholder dialogue in order to create common views of human development as a part of the peacebuilding process in Colombia

Justo to share with U

http://www.revistasice.com/CachePDF/BICE_3073_39-52__257813000722ED...

Eduardo

Pearson is partnering with Save the Children to improve education for children affected by conflict. Through our £1.5 million three-year ‘Every Child Learning’ partnership, our ambition is to increase educational opportunities for Syrian refugees and host communities, and innovate new solutions to help improve the delivery of education in emergency and conflict-affected settings. There are some strong links between access to quality education and peace.

One I referenced last week is Futrways in Northern Ireland that during the Teoubles hired half Catholics and half Protestants to provide a model and experience of working gogether

One concrete example of businesses committed to social and environmental impacts are the B-corps, or Benefit corporations, certified by the B-Lab. There are approximately 1600 businesses in the world that carry this certification (i.e., Plum Organics, Seventh Generation, Natura) and have committed to the highest standards of transparency and accountability. 

Apologies for the delay, technical problems - Hi everyone, I'm Scott Shackelford, an Associate Professor at Indiana University looking at sustainable development and cybersecurity

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Profile IconFabienne Ntwa Antieme and Nikhil Chulani joined Business Fights Poverty
Tuesday
Profile IconJoseph Wade, Nick Farmer, Nicole Pitter Patterson and 2 more joined Business Fights Poverty
Oct 5
PAUL MBUTHIA is now a member of Business Fights Poverty
Sep 26
Pam Bolton is now a member of Business Fights Poverty
Sep 25

© 2017   Inspiris. Business Fights Poverty was created and is managed by Inspiris, a Certified B Corp.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Google+